Saturday, June 27, 2009

Return Trip

After our wake-up calls at five in the morning, I went to each door to make sure students didn't sleep through the calls or go right back to sleep. Almost half the students did not respond to my pounding in their doors, so we called a few rooms, and when that didn't work Mr.Witt went down to the front desk, got copies of the keys of the last hold-outs, and broke into their rooms to shout at them. I'm not sure I've ever seen him enjoy anything more.

We got everyone on the bus, did a passport check, and guess who didn't have his in hand? Yep. Poor Chris. After he got out his checked bag under the bus and proved he hadn't lost it between the lobby and the bus, we went to the airport. By the time we arrived I was feeling the last surges of manic energy that made me slap happy. Then we got in the Iberian ticket line, they announced that a computer problem would make the ticketing process very slow, and I hit a wall. Stumbling around to try to stay awake, I honestly worried I'd start drooling or wet my pants. I knew if I sat still I'd fall asleep, but I couldn't help it, and ended up sleeping on the marble floor by the ticket counter while students checked in. At some point someone woke me (I can't remember who or why) and I went and bought a Snickers bar and a Coke. We made it to our gate in Barcelona, and I must have walked into the plane, but the next thing I remember was being awakened on the plane because two of our boys didn't get on with the rest of us. The wouldn't let me off the plane, of course, so all I could do was panic until they sauntered on board. After smacking each in the back of the head I set about counting everyone, but I didn't trust my own ability to count so I had to do it three times. Then I sat down and fell into oblivion.

I woke up and assumed we were in mid-flight, stood to go use the bathroom, and was scolded and shooed back into my seat by two frantic stewardesses. We were coming in for a landing.

In Madrid we had to go all the way back out to tge ticket office, because iberian Airlines' computers hadn't communicated with American Airlines'. We were impressed by American Airlines' efficiency at the ticket booth, but we still never would have made our flight if it hadn't been running late. We made our way to the gate ans gave kids a chance to buy some food, but most slept most of the extended wait. Then we boarded and fell right back to sleep.

So here's where we sit now: I could have been stuck in Madrid, a city I've never seen and have always wanted to visit, but because the flight was late we made our connection but will miss the next one, so we'll probably get stuck in Dallas, a city which interests me not at all. Could this get any worse? Of course it can. In-flight movie: some Matthew McConaughey vehicle. Nuff said.

angel 009 - Share on Ovi

No comments:

Post a Comment