Thursday, June 18, 2009

First leg to Denver

The ride to Portland was uneventful.

100_0078 - Share on Ovi

We had an orderly trip through ticketing/security. The guy sitting next to me on the plane offered me part of his newspaper. I told him I'd fall asleep as soon as they turned on the engines. He laughed.

I slept through takeoff and woke up over the Rockies. I wasn't joking.

angel 001 - Share on Ovi

angel 003 - Share on Ovi

I always thought of Denver as some tightly packed metropolis squeezed into a niche between the peaks of the Rockies. Not so. It might be a mile high, but it's a sprawling city on a flat plain. It looks like you'd have to get on the freeway to get to anything in town; subdivisions of identical homes are strangely separated from one another by great stretches of what might be fallow agricultural land, or maybe just empty plain. It makes me wonder how much of the Midwest is full of the endless fields of corn and soy and wheat, as I remember from my childhood in Illinois, and how much is simply empty; fields sectioned off and fenced perhaps, the bison eradicated, but still empty.

Somebody told me the Denver airport is weird. The exterior has this cool model of the Rockies made of what looks like giant white tents over what I assume to be the parking structure.

angel 004 - Share on Ovi

angel 005 - Share on Ovi

Safe landing. One flight down.

2 comments:

  1. You're right about Denver. I visited some family there last year and couldn't believe how far it is to drive just from the airport into the city! Glad to hear you all are doing well. Have fun! and keep the posts coming.
    -C.Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy and Greg's joke about Denver is that the original settlers got to that plain, looked at the Rockies in front and them and said, "oh, hell no! I've had enough"! Which really makes sense considering that Denver is not on any major waterway like most large cities. It always makes me laugh when I'm in Denver.

    ReplyDelete